Kids Safety Tips
We all know electricity plays a major role in our everyday lives, and it is a powerful resource that should be respected. Unfortunately, our children often do not understand the dangers of electricity. At MEC, we encourage you to share electrical safety tips and lessons with your little ones as often as possible.
Help us keep our smallest members safe by going over these 10 safety tips with your children or grandchildren.
1. Fly kites far away from power lines. Electricity always finds the quickest way to the ground, which could be down a kite string if it touches the energized power line.
2. Don’t fly drones near power lines. If flying toys hit a power line, they could cause a power outage. Or even worse, cause a downed power line, which is extremely hazardous.
3. Stay away from electrical substations. If a ball or toy ends up over the fence surrounding a substation, please call MEC for help. Substations should only be entered by trained professionals with the proper safety equipment.
4. Never play on transformers. Underground pad mount transformers should be clearly marked with a safety warning. Teach kids not to climb on or play around these green boxes.
5. Don’t climb trees near power lines. If branches touch the electrical wires, the tree could be energized. Even branches that are close, but not touching a power line, could become dangerous in windy conditions or if the weight of a child is added.
6. Electricity and water don’t mix. Keep all electrical equipment away from water. Don’t plug in electronics that may have been damaged by water.
7. Never yank an electric cord from the wall. Pulling the cord could damage the appliance, plug or outlet. Remove the appliance safely by pulling on the plug.
8. Electric outlets are only for plugs. Teach children not to stick fingers or other objects in electric outlets.
9. Avoid using cords that are damaged. Frayed or worn-out cords can be a safety hazard.
10. Electric cords should be kept out of the way. Keep all cords out of main traffic areas where people could trip. You should also be careful not to pinch them in doorways or run them under rugs.